- A sketch map is a map drawn from observation showing outline of features on the main map.
- There are no actual measurements and concentration is given to
the aspects that need to be mapped ignoring other not so important ones.
Drawing a sketch map
- Obtain a base map.
- Draw a frame of half the scale (1:100 000).
- Draw the features that you want to focus on, for example, rivers, hilly areas, fields, grasslands and so on
- Start with rivers, then hilly areas and lastly man-made features.
- Shading is used to indicate areas while other features may be
represented by simple illustrations (for example roads and rivers).
- Include a title and key or legend.
- Indicate the grid north.
- The steps are summarized below on a checklist of sketch map drawing.
Checklist fo sketch map drawing
Checlist of sketch map drawing
- Drawing of sketch maps is a skill that is best mastered by constant practice.
- The following is an example of a sketch map.
An example of a sketch mapS